Thursday, June 27, 2013

69 days ....

Yesterday Audrey left for Washington DC for another portion of her orientation.  As she went through airport security in Appleton, looking radiant in her white dress, eyes full of dreams, cell phone battery dying, I watched and wondered if there would be one last request for "Mom??  do you have ....??  can you ... ???"

But she did well, boarded her plane for Minneapolis without my assistance, made the transition to her next flight (purchasing breakfast and coffee inbetween) with panache, and arrived in DC, where I'm sure she greeted the AFS/YES staff with a radiant smile.

Is it possible that these people know what a precious girl they are welcoming into their program?  Do they know how amazing she is?  How lucky they are?  How hard she works?  Do they see her as "just one more teenager"?  or as a treasured daughter?

Today the students all head to the State Department and other points around Washington.  Armed with intelligent questions and youth, they are the future of international relations.

But I remember, she's the little girl I dropped off in the 3 year-old Sunday school class, concerned that those rough-playing boys might trample her.  The one who rearranged my refrigerator magnets and spice cabinet and insisted on princess dresses for playing in.

Come home soon, Audrey, the days are passing too quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Precious post for a precious & beloved daughter--and niece!! A GREAT niece indeed! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete