Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hobby Lobby Heaven

I woke to these messages from Audrey this morning:

"I'm in button heaven"

"Hot glue sticks"

"Long scissors"

"Box cutters!"

"Never mind, im just in heaven"

"It smells like hobby lobby"

Audrey recently finished attending school.  She has been part of the senior class for her school, and their school schedule is changing because the class has college entrance exams in a few months, so the students will be attending class irregularly and studying on their own part of the time.

The way the exchange program has approached this is almost comical.

While Audrey told us about the school year transitioning, and her options for her remaining time in Ghana, AFS called to say, "Audrey has been doing so well in school, we want to give her the opportunity to participate in some cultural learning."  So ... if scoring 30% on your math exam is "doing so well" (nothing owning a calculator wouldn't fix)...  I would love to hear their definition of "struggling".

Anyway, sarcasm aside, Audrey started working with a seamstress this week, feeding her inner craft-goddess.  I'm so excited for her to learn some useful skills that I haven't taught her!  I'm envisioning new drapes and cute skirts and hair ties appearing in our home when she returns in June.

Button heaven, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. I love this! This will be so helpful for life in general! (says someone who can't sew)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cultural learning" is my favorite kind of learning. Much more than math.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Cultural learning" is my favorite kind of learning. Much more than math.

    ReplyDelete