So, recently Audrey told me that Nasreen had taken to saying "What the F*&#...?" Concerned that Nasreen might use this phrase in front of church friends or Grandma and Grandpa, Audrey explained to her briefly that it wasn't an appropriate phrase to be using, and that she needed to stop.
It isn't surprising that this phrase is commonly used in the public high school, between students, and when Audrey told Nasreen that it wasn't something she should be saying, Nasreen disagreed with her and said, "It's not that bad, everyone at school says it."
So, when Nasreen almost let it slip in front of Dad, Audrey mentioned it to me again.
I honestly wasn't sure what to say. I didn't want Nasreen to feel that Audrey was tattling on her, but I do not want her saying this phrase, and if I can help prevent it, I'd like to.
I finally decided on a course of action.
Nasreen was on her computer, surfing the internet, so I walked up to her, asked to interrupt for a moment, and then opened her browser to Google Translator. I set it to translate English to Urdu and then typed in the offending word. I clicked on "Translate" and waited. Then I said, "Okay? If you wouldn't say it in front of your parents, don't say it." I walked away.
A few minutes later, Nasreen came over to me, gave me a big hug and said, "I'm sorry!" and then she went to Audrey and said, "Thank you!"
I so appreciate her willingness to learn from the situation. If the same thing had occurred with Oksana, she most likely would have skulked around the house, mad at Audrey for ratting her out, and then denied using inappropriate language. What a blessing that Nasreen acknowledged her (innocent) mistake and just wanted to move forward. I hope we have this kind of response from our girls next year.
Direct and to the point meets open and willing to learn. Very nice.
ReplyDelete