Tuesday, May 22, 2012

just 1 month

When we first began hosting exchange students nine months ago, I wasn't sure we would survive. For certain, we were excited, but so many people told us stories of friends or neighbors who had hosted a student for one year and then never again. There were stories of students who had died during their exchange year, uncooperative students, and all kinds of craziness.  Lots of people told us we were adventurous for taking two students on. 

Personally, I learned so much this year.  I didn't learn as much as I hoped about our student's home countries, mostly because it takes a lot of energy to help them learn about the US and being part of your family.  I learned that anyone can be part of the people you love, and cultural differences will matter only as much as you let them.  Having a sense of humor about yourself will make the day go better, and not jumping to conclusions about people is worth the effort. 

So many people say, "I could never do that," and I disagree. If you can love a teenager, laugh at yourself and be prepared to offer forgiveness, you can host an exchange student.  Each of the students is so unique, and needs a unique family.  Even though I am fairly certain Oksana was angry about leaving our home, her second placement was probably much more appropriate for her, and I'm sure she was happier there. 

In less than a month, Nasreen will return home.  The transition back to Pakistani life is going to be challenging, but I am sure she will be warmly received by family and friends and I hope we talk with her often.. 

Parveen has been taking her final exams for high school, covering the whole year of education, and it sounds grueling. She says she has also started packing for her August departure.  I was chatting with her online and realized that there are some things that you simply can not prepare for.  For instance, she was asking what clothing to bring, and I had a flashback to Nasreen's suitcase full of beautiful Pakistani clothes that have mostly not been worn.  I tried to tell Parveen that she probably will wear jeans and t-shirts to school, and pictured her face questioning what I could possibly mean by that.  I don't think she could really grasp a high school full of students in such casual clothing. She probably doesn't even wear jeans and t-shirts around her own house!  So, even though we try to prepare them with the right clothing to bring, there will probably be lots of shopping for appropriate clothes once she arrives.

Miriam also has been taking exams and studying.  We had an online chat about her upcoming visa interview and the distance she has to travel to interview.  Fortunately, Miriam lives in a colder climate, so I asked her to bring her warm things to get through the Wisconsin winter!  Miriam seems very excited about volunteering when she arrives, and talks about how much she loves children.  I think both girls are very family-oriented but different enough to keep it exciting.

I was recently accused of writing "dirt" in my blog.  Hopefully you disagree.  A few of the posts are meant to be thought provoking, but mostly I think life is hilarious and wanted to share some of that with you.  Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Awe the shocks the US brings to so many people. The fact that we are so casual in the way we dress now adays even to go on a date or to church will be a shock in and of itself. And don't worry what people tell you about your blog the awesomest part is just that, it's "your blog.' and if people who are reading it know you at all it doesn't sound dirty it sounds like a hilarious life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another meaningful post. Thank you for allowing
    us to share in a small way what you are experiencing & learning.

    ReplyDelete