And we finally made contact with our new Moroccan daughter! I think I am going to have to call her "Miriam", (M for Morocco), and go with "Parveen" (P for Pakistan) or we'll all be confused. Also, after speaking with our Pakistani daughter, I'm afraid something as calm as "Salma" is not going to work for her.
I received many many pictures via email from Miriam yesterday, but here is the one I like best:
Self-photographers will recognize this as the "outstretched arm pointing the camera at my own face" pose. I so love that despite her hijab, she sent pictures of her adorable little sisters (okay, I need to post their picture too ... they are way too cute).
And she sent pictures of herself with her non-hijab-wearing cousin/best friend and of herself playing the guitar. She has about 1000 friends on facebook and is obviously very committed to her faith, by the passion she displays not just for muslim culture, but also for true faith.
It sounds like she is truly intending to wear her hijab (in public) for her time in the U.S., and I admit this is going to be a stretch for me. When people look at Nasreen right now, I think they assume she is Indian and probably 2nd generation American. A girl walking around in a hijab is definitely going to draw stares and will need to clearly know that we love her no matter what she is wearing. (my bra-revealing Ukrainian drew some stares too ...)
So ... hold on tight! 3 and a half months for this adventure to really start. I'm also glad that both these girls can ask Nasreen questions about how life will be for them as a Muslim living in a Christian family in the US.


Adorable!! She looks like she has such a personality - just from the picture. And her sisters are too cute, too!
ReplyDeleteI hope the hijab wont be too much of a problem. Hopefully one of those things that is weird for a week and then everyone gets over it.
Great idea on names beginning with P & M. It should be a wild (but definitely worthwhile) ride next school year with a committed practicing Muslim & a girl whose personality does not lend itself to the name "Peace"! Love you lots & will miss Nasreen, who I'm sure will always be part of your lives, even long distance.
ReplyDeleteForgot to mention: the little sisters are ADORABLE indeed!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting for you all! I was just reflecting that this wonderful opportunity came about because of something that at one point you might have called a mistake! God is good!
ReplyDelete