Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Packing, packing....

10 months ago, I wondered, "How does someone pack for a year away from home?"

Tonight I am wondering, "How do you pack a year of your life into a suitcase?"

At least when you are leaving home for a while, you know all your favorite things will still be at home when you return.  Helping Nasreen pack tonight, for her departure in the morning, and as I force her to choose one out of three of her American shirts to tuck in the under-50-pound-suitcases, I am thinking how difficult it is when many of your new favorites must stay behind.

This perfume?  or a cozy sweater?  This Pakistani outfit?  or my jeans?  A present for my mom?  or 200 sparkly bangles?  The things that seem important now may seem silly in the light of the Karachi sun.  Or will they seem like just the right things to have brought home.

Of course, the most important things, which we must leave behind or let go of, are the people who have made our lives brighter, have loved us and let us love them.  They will never fit in a duffle bag or a carry on.  But thankfully we can still pack them tight in our hearts and share time with them over Skype and Facebook.

Last night we had a going-away party at our house.  It was a wonderful opportunity to meet some of Nasreen's friends from school and get some insight into her interactions there.  It was wonderful to see how silly, loving, welcoming and non-judgmental they were, and how excited they were to hear about our two new students.  I am glad that Nasreen found these sweet, goofy girls at school and it makes me feel more at peace as I think about Audrey, Parveen and Mariam heading back to school in the fall.

Sweet Nasreen!  We will miss you!  (but please finish packing ... my back hurts and I'm tired!)

2 comments:

  1. So sweet! Excellent writing too. :-) Must run in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you... I'm sure it comes from some of the non-genetic family members! B-)

    ReplyDelete