Recently, Miriam "liked" a photo on facebook of the flag-draped coffins of several Jews killed in bombings in Israel/Gaza and also a photo of the Palestinian flag.
As a Muslim, I would anticipate her position on the conflict in Palestine to be anti-Jewish, but I've really been trying to wrap my mind around the concept of "liking" the idea of people being killed to promote your political agenda.
Apparently, after the 9-11 attacks on the United States, Moroccans took to the streets to protest that the attackers were not true Muslims. They collectively said that true Muslims pursue peace and do not kill innocents.
So it baffles me that Miriam seems to be giving a digital "high-five" to the killing of Jews. It baffles me that anyone with an education still believes that at some point there will be enough killing to bring peace to Palestine. That death is the answer.
No, I haven't worked up the nerve to say anything to her about it yet. But, some day.....
Sobering...
ReplyDeleteScary stuff.
ReplyDeleteAudrey, frustrated that I hadn't said anything, finally asked her, "what are those pictures about?"
ReplyDeleteto which Miriam replied, "Oh, just ignore them, it's nothing. I just 'liked' them because someone tagged me in them."
Audrey reminded her that everyone can see the things that she "likes" and comments on, as Miriam hastily rushed to undo her "liking".
Should be interesting to see if there is more of this or not.