Yesterday Nasreen walked into the bathrom where I was cleaning up and handed me a piece of paper. She told me it had appeared on her desk in art class... there was a face drawn in pencil and the words: " 'Ssup? Text me sometime. John 834-2983"
She tried to hand it back to "John", saying, "This isn't mine," and he put it back on her desk.
I wasn't sure how to respond. What an embarrassing example of American teenager courtship! On one hand (even though the girls are not allowed to date), I think it was kind of cute that someone is interested in her. On the other hand, good grief! Have a real conversation with the girl instead of pretty much asking her to make the first move in a non-conversation!
I could only shake my head and say that I thought it was pretty dumb and very odd. Nasreen (who expects to have an arranged marriage) walked out of the bathroom saying, "American teenagers are strange!"
Strange, indeed...
ReplyDelete