This morning, while Oksana and we went to church, Nasreen was invited by another Muslim acquaintance to go to the Mosque for Eid. Eid is the celebration of when Ibrahim almost sacrificed his son Ishmael, but God provided a sheep instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_al-Adha
When Nasreen returned home, she talked with such excitement about a Muslim family whose high schooler wears a burka every day to school that I wondered what she really thought about it. When I jokingly mentioned to another family member that Nasreen had decided to start wearing a burka to school, Nasreen erupted into such laughter ... I'm pretty sure she is not in favor of personally adopting this custom. However, the Muslim tradition of adherence to family (father's) values, rather than following your own desires were obvious.
Oksana had a cleaning frenzy in the kitchen that we knew would be followed by some request for special privileges. And was.
The dog stole a loaf of bread off of the kitchen counter, and did some other naughty things that made me feel I actually have FOUR teenage girls in this house, and three of them really don't speak English.
And we did puzzles, played card games, laughed, teased each other, and spilled various things in places they shouldn't be spilled.
I don't think an extra hour of sleep will make up for it all.
Sounds like our house...except for the burka.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good Sunday. You're all finding your way amongst the exchange student maze!
ReplyDelete