Well, I did it...
Last night we were watching the movie "Leap Year" which is a romantic comedy. In this movie an unmarried couple purchases an expensive apartment together, and in the end the boyfriend proposes to the female lead only so they can get approved for their purchase. I made some comments to Nasreen before movie started about how many movies these days, rather than ending with a wedding, end up with the couple simply moving in together, as if that would be the peak of romantic love. And for many American couples, that is the reality. My personal belief is that this choice is disrespectful of the people involved and the appearance of attachment without real commitment is harmful.
Anyway. After I said these things, Nasreen agreed and said, "They should make a law against this!"
Caught off guard, I pretty much said nothing and we watched the movie, but this morning I felt compelled to respond to her comment.
America is founded on the idea that government can not legislate religion, and as long as what you are doing doesn't cause chaos and harm to others, you can probably do it. I pointed out to her that the Pilgrims came here to get away from a government that appeared to be religious, but didn't allow them to worship the way that they believed. That right, the right to make your own choices, is very dear to Americans. It is both our strength and our weakness. No one can prevent her from worshiping and following Islam, and no one can force her to be a Christian.
She asked if most Americans are Christians. I said that many Americans call themselves "Christian" but whether it is really in their heart and soul is a different question. For many people, the only time you hear Jesus or God mentioned in reference to them is at their wedding or funeral.
But, that is also the beauty of religious freedom. No one can make you "act" like a Christian if you don't embrace it. I talked about the religious history of the Lutheran/Catholic/Anglican churches, where the government appeared to be religious, but oftentimes used religion just to maintain power or get money.
I asked her if it was that way sometimes in Pakistan; do people say they are Muslim and follow the rules but don't truly believe? Of course it is true, and that is the problem with government religion. Laws can govern our actions, but they can not change what is in our heart and soul.
So, perhaps she felt like I was ranting and raving ... babbling on and on. But I hope the point was communicated clearly enough.
[ I have been reading the book "Nomad" http://www.amazon.com/Nomad-America-Personal-Journey-Civilizations/dp/B0048ELEAE/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330191450&sr=1-1 and it is a fascinating description of Muslim influence around the world, written by a Somali woman. I recommend it if you are interested in learning more]
I think this is awesome. The conversations that you're having with her are at the heart and soul of an exchange program. It's nice that she is asking - I think it means that she is trusting and curious. Both great things to take home with her!
ReplyDeleteWell said, Kristen!
ReplyDelete