Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What shall we call it?

So, tonight at dinner we had a discussion about Piggly Wiggly, when I realized this was another Americanism of which Nasreen was not aware.  We gleefully sang, "Shop the Pig!" and mused about how this store was named.  Because pigs and anything made from them are totally forbidden for devout Muslims, Nasreen seemed to think this was pretty hilarious.

However, she told us that in Urdu, they word for Pig is a profanity, so they never even say it.  Can you imagine traveling to another country where they have a store named something you aren't allowed to say?  Pick a bad word your mother would slap you for saying, and now make up a store named that.  Can you imagine?

She really must think we're crazy.

And yes, of course we had to go there and take pictures right away. 

3 comments:

  1. Haha, that is hilarious! Hope you don't show her family that picture! We met some friends today that have to call their new guinea pig a "guinea rabbit"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! They should have called it a guinea rat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I've always found PW an odd (but entertaining) name. I wonder what they call pig iron?

    ReplyDelete