So, I talked to Miriam more tonight .. and it turns out she would rather be vegetarian the whole year, maybe eat fish once a month, than eat the non-halal food and bless it herself. I really don't want to push her moral courage on this thing that is quite important to her, but it is a Major hassle for Dad or whomever is cooking. And expensive.
And whether we have halal food or she just goes vegetarian, it will mean two meal preps a good portion of the time. I'm certain that Parveen will follow her lead on this.
The thing i am most concerned about is that they will not eat nutritiously, and that they will just eat chips and fries all the time if there is not halal meat available, or a second meal prepared just for them. As a mom, that's what bothers me the most.
I think a lot about how I would want Audrey treated, if she lived in another country, so I don't want to push them on this, but I got my hopes up when we heard that the Imam said it should be okay. And it's such a pain!!!!!!!
More to come, I'm certain. At this point I really want us just to understand each other clearly, and respect each other's position.
Hmmmmmmmm... Praying...
ReplyDelete