At the beginning of the year, we were driving in my mini-van, when Miriam asked, "Why don't I recognize any of these songs?" Miriam has a wonderful singing voice and is very interested in pop music, and I knew immediately the answer to her question.
"It's all contemporary Christian music."
I really wanted to have something that would be familiar to Miriam and us all, to listen to from time to time, but I didn't want to purchase secular music that was negative or offensive. The idea began to build that I could make up some mix CD's to play in the car. I have plenty of secular music from the 80's and 90's (before small children starting riding along with me), so I spent hours making up three mix CD's from my old purchases. I picked out one or two songs from each CD, tried to find some that would be familiar (i.e. she could have heard them on Glee), arranged them in a way that flowed well, and tried to figure out which ones would be "singable."
Finally the finished product was ready, and I proudly loaded all three CD's into my car's player.
A week or two later, we made the long drive to Milwaukee and had lots of music listening time. It was Miriam's turn to sit in the front seat (each girl has 10 days assigned during the month). On the way home, I was singing along when she turned to me and said,
"Do you like this music?"
Allllrighty then.
Back to Toby Mac, Group 1 Crew, and Addison Road we go.
No comments:
Post a Comment