Sunday, September 8, 2013

Balance

Knowing the line between "You're freaked out and I should rescue you" and "You're freaked out and I should be your cheerleader" is tough.

I am remembering when dear, sweet, Nasreen first arrived at our home about 2 years ago now.  We were so excited, she was so exhausted (which we didn't realize at the time).  She probably didn't understand 75% of what we said to her (maybe less?).

Nonetheless, we wanted to show her a few things on her first day, and walked to the local grocery store.  She was wearing her long black shalwar-kameez, I believe, and a scarf, which she intermittently put over her head, probably to protect herself from the sun.  It was hot, and I'm sure we were walking more quickly than she was used to walking in Pakistan, and especially when she was so tired from her travels.

Mostly, she stared at us.  Of course we thought she was wonderful and beautiful and amazing, but I wonder what was going through her mind?  "I just want to go home!!  These people are insane!!!  I'll never survive here!!!"  Nasreen, like Audrey, was only 15, but Nasreen had NEVER been outside of Pakistan before, and she hadn't ever been away from her mother before at all.

I don't know how Nasreen made it.  Especially when our other student was so unkind to her and there really was nowhere to turn for so long, because it was so subtle.  I'm sure Nasreen's mother cried and wanted to rescue her a LOT.

I'm so proud of you, Nasreen, for sticking it out.  For hanging in there through some turbulent times.  You are an amazing girl.

And Audrey, I know you're going to have a great year.  I know it's going to be hard.  But maybe, at some of those really tough moments, just be thankful that you don't have a bunch of really talkative Americans marching you at top speed down a busy road, and a Ukrainian plotting your doom, and everything will seem a little better.

I love you so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment