Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fear

Last night, Audrey's dad and I talked about feeling very nervous for Miriam's arrival.

One of our concerns surrounds the Halal diet, even though we are aware of what is required and have the experience of cooking for Nasreen.  Last year, we were able to prepare pizza that was half-pepperoni (non-halal) and half vegetarian.  We almost always provided a halal option, even though it might contain chicken broth or the utensils may have been shared with a non-halal dish during preparation.  Some friends who have interacted with Halal muslims in the past, however, have shared stories of refusal to use plates and utensils that may have ever come in contact with non-Halal food, and  it just would be very very obnoxious if Miriam "turns her nose up" at every dish we prepare, or questions every item on the dinner table.  We made a strong effort last year to provide appropriate food and we plan to again, but we don't want to be met with disdain or criticism.

The other issue is Namaz, or praying five times per day.  Honestly, I pray about 100 times per day, silent sentences for the people I interact with, requests for patience or love or wisdom.  But in our high school it is simply not going to be possible for Miriam to pull out her prayer rug, leave the classroom, and pray for ten minutes even once during the school day.  If she chooses to be difficult about this prayer "requirement", it will be very stressful.

Last year, Nasreen followed her principles as much as possible without challenging everything we did in our lives.  But I definitely get the feeling that Miriam is more passionate about her faith, and ....

.... well, we'll see.

I hope that her orientation has helped her to understand that not every principle of your religion can be followed to the extreme in a new culture.  I hope that they covered these things so Miriam isn't caught off guard and struggles during her first few weeks more than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment