Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th

The issue of the 10th Anniversary of the September 11th, 2001 attacks has been passing through our minds for the past few weeks.  We don't really know how much Nasreen was aware of these attacks back when she was only a pre-schooler, or what her family or friends have taught her about them over the years.  But, here we sit with her in our house as this anniversary has been approaching.

Dad and I have both talked about saying something, so finally on the way to church this morning (just Audrey, Nasreen and I), I said, "Nasreen, today is the anniversary of the September 11th attacks, so you may hear people talking about them or saying things.  I don't expect there to be any violence or demonstrations, but I don't want you to be surprised if people have something to say about the attacks, and sometimes those comments can be anti-Muslim."  I really didn't know what else to say.  I didn't want to freak her out, but at the same time, it is a huge thing for the US and it would be mentioned in places.

About an hour later, it occurred to me, that her home city is one of the most dangerous cities in the world, and suicide bombers routinely kill bystanders of their own faith and from their own country.  So any warning I would give her about the potential for mean comments in central Wisconsin (let alone actual violence) seems ... ridiculous.  

Once a mom ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment