Sunday, September 4, 2011

What light through yonder door-jam breaks?

I think it was Nasreen's second night in our home that we awoke at 4am with a beacon seeming to shine under our doorway. 

Dad and I both sat up with a start and listened intently.

Silence.

Dad got up to investigate, finding Nasreen's bedroom door partially open and every light in the room on. Not just one, but the overhead light, closet light, and bedside light shone brightly while she slept soundly in her bed.

Since we are not 16 years old, but over 40, that was the end of useful sleep for us.

Later in the day, Dad patiently expressed concern for how Nasreen was sleeping (I was only concerned for how I was sleeping!), and after she mentioned that she was just afraid of being in ther dark in this new place, I added on, "Well, when we wake up and see so much light, we are worried about you" (and the electric bill and why three lights are necessary and....)

I think we are down to two lights now, not including the four night lights we provided her.

No comments:

Post a Comment